Here are 15 creative writing prompts for kids:
1. What is the story behind your name? Do you like it? Do you know why it was chosen? What does your name mean to you?
2. You enter a time machine and press a big red button on the wall. Where does it take you? What do you see when you get there?
3. A science experiment has gone wrong in the sixth grade classroom down the hall. A classmate runs by your door shouting, “It came alive!” What happens next?
4. You find yourself shipwrecked on an island. Describe the island. What does it look like? Do people live there? Is anything left from the ship? Who is with you? What do you do next?
5. What would aliens serve you at a restaurant on Jupiter?
6. Describe an object using your senses of taste, smell, touch, and hearing. Do not use your sense of sight. Can others guess what it is?
7. What would you do if you were principal for a day?
8. Write about a beach vacation from the perspective of a dog.
9. Design your ideal President of the United States. What issues do they care about? What decisions do they make? What do they look like as you imagine them in your head?
10. If you were a piece of house furniture, what would you be? Why?
11. Write about a superhero with a lame superpower. What is their power? What is their costume? What villain do they fight? What power does the villain have? Imagine how the superhero could use their power to their advantage.
12. Write a letter for someone to discover in 100 years. What is important for them to know?
13. Imagine you could travel back in time with a single piece of technology to show people in colonial America. What would you bring? What would you do with it?
14. What is something you wish you did differently today? What is something you are glad you accomplished?
15. Design a piece of technology that doesn’t exist yet. What does it look like? What does it do? How does it make an everyday task easier? Imagine how such a gadget might be made.